CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"Wherever it was, that was where I wanted to go..."


Wendell Berry Wisdom



“Always in the big woods,
when you leave familiar ground and step off alone into a new place there will be,
along with the feelings of curiosity and excitement,
a little nagging of dread.
It is the ancient fear of the Unknown,
and it is your first bond with the wilderness you are going into.” 

― Wendell Berry




“It may be that when we no longer know what to do,
we have come to our real work, 
and that when we no longer know which way to go, 
we have begun our real journey.” 

― Wendell Berry




“We walked always in beauty, it seemed to me.
We walked and looked about, or stood and looked.
Sometimes, less often, we would sit down.
We did not often speak.
The place spoke for us and was a kind of speech.
We spoke to each other in the things we saw.” 

― Wendell BerryJayber Crow




“When despair for the world grows in me and I wake in the night at the least sound in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars waiting with their light.
For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.” 

― Wendell BerrySex, Economy, Freedom, and Community




“The soil under the grass is dreaming of a young forest,
and under the pavement the soil is dreaming of grass.” 

― Wendell BerryGiven




 “...I was a young man. I hardly knew what I knew, let alone what I was going to know.” 

― Wendell BerryJayber Crow




“It might seem to you that living in the woods on a riverbank would remove you from the modern world. But not if the river is navigable, as ours is. On pretty weekends in the summer, this riverbank is the very verge of the modern world. It is a seat in the front row, you might say. On those weekends, the river is disquieted from morning to night by people resting from their work.

This resting involves traveling at great speed, first on the road and then on the river. The people are in an emergency to relax. They long for the peace and quiet of the great outdoors. Their eyes are hungry for the scenes of nature. They go very fast in their boats. They stir the river like a spoon in a cup of coffee. They play their radios loud enough to hear above the noise of their motors. They look neither left nor right. They don't slow down for - or maybe even see - an old man in a rowboat raising his lines...

I watch and I wonder and I think. I think of the old slavery, and of the way The Economy has now improved upon it. The new slavery has improved upon the old by giving the new slaves the illusion that they are free. The Economy does not take people's freedom by force, which would be against its principles, for it is very humane. It buys their freedom, pays for it, and then persuades its money back again with shoddy goods and the promise of freedom.” 

― Wendell BerryJayber Crow




The mind that is not baffled is not employed. 
The impeded stream is the one that sings.” 

― Wendell Berry





“The road is a word,
conceived elsewhere and laid across the country in the wound prepared for it:
a word made concrete and thrust among us.” 
― Wendell Berry




“You have been given questions to which you cannot be given answers.
 You will have to live them out - perhaps a little at a time.'
And how long is that going to take?'
I don't know. As long as you live, perhaps.'
That could be a long time.'
I will tell you a further mystery,' he said. 'It may take longer.” 
― Wendell Berry, Jayber Crow




“I don't think I had even begun to have an idea where I was going,
but wherever it was, that was where I wanted to go.” 
― Wendell BerryJayber Crow

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...